Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December Wrap Up

Another month (and year) over! It feels like only yesterday it was May and I was packing up and moving to Pittsburgh. I had another good month of reading and blogging. I finished a series, reread a classic, and tried an author I've wanted to read for awhile. I read five books and one audiobook this month, which is one more than I planned.

The Quick Reviews:


Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Full Review
Rating: 9 out of 10
My Thoughts: Book Two in the Gemma Doyle trilogy was even better than the first. The characters are complex and interesting, the world within a world dark fantasy story is unique, the mystery is complicated but solvable, and there are tons of deep themes about humanity and society.




The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
Full Review
Rating: 8 out of 10 
My Thoughts:  A fitting ending of a great series. All the great things about the first two books plus so many surprises! The action was a little slower and it was a little longer than it needed to be resulting in some pacing issues but it was still great!




Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith
Full Review
Rating: 8 out of 10
My Thoughts: An incredible and interesting adventure about the "Three Kings" in the biblical story. The characters are odious and interesting, there's tons of action, and amazing imagery especially when it comes to the explanation of gore. A great read if you're looking for a supernatural Christmas story.




Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Full Review
Rating: 10 out of 10
My Thoughts: One of my favorite books. It is funny, sad, and sweet. It's a story about love, loss, and family that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. The perfect book to read at Christmastime.





Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter
Rating: 7 out of 10
My Thoughts: Book Two in the Gallagher Girls series about a girl studying to be a spy in a secret boarding school. The book is fun and light but is also an interesting coming of age story with some easy too solve mysteries and memorable characters.




The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice
Full Review to Come
Rating: 6 out of 10
My Thoughts: Book Two in The Wolf Gift Chronicles. It feels like a very early book in what will end up being a longer series. It didn't really enjoy it too much. The characters were interesting but there was not enough action and too much ominous explanations of things that it ended up being very confusing. It was disappointingly dull.



What have you read in December? What's the last book you plan to read in 2013 and the first book you plan to read in 2014? Leave me a comment and check out the full reviews if you have or plan to read any of these books! HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to finish up a couple of books, so I can start fresh in the new year. I don't think I am going to finish any of them tonight though!

    ReplyDelete