Wednesday, September 3, 2014

August Wrap Up and September TBR

August was another great reading month for me. I read a total of nine (and a half) books. My theme was Historical Fiction and most of the books I read and reviewed fit the theme. I also took part in ARC August hosted by the ladies at Read.Sleep.Repeat and met my goal by reading five ARC, here are all the books.

Read in August - Theme: Historical Fiction

1.) Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little 
Rating: 8 out of 10 Full Review
2.) Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard Rating: 8 out of 10 Full Review
3.) Grace and the Guiltless by Erin Johnson 
Rating: 6 out of 10 Full Review
4.) A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
5.) Neverhome by Laird Hunt 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Full Review
6.) Nest by Esther Ehrlich 
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Full Review
7.) Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard 
Rating: 9 out of 10 Full Review
8.) One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Rating: 8 out of 10 Full Review
9.) Jackaby by William Ritter 
Rating: 10 out of 10 Full Review to Come
10.) Salt and Storm by Kendal Kulper 
Did Not Finish (May finish at the end of this month)

Read in Other Months but Reviewed in August
1.) The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman Rating: 9.5 out of 10 Full Review
2.) Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Full Review

For a little bit more information on each of the books check out the full reviews or my BookTube video wrap up that has more information about the books and my thoughts on them HERE

To Be Read in September - Theme: High Fantasy

I did a High Fantasy month in January and read some fantastic books, including the last two A Song of Ice and Fire books and the first two Grisha trilogy books. And while this is one of my favorite genres, it sometimes turns my brain to mush. Too much time in crazy made up worlds that all blend into one another. I may have to toss in an unrelated Contemporary or something else to switch things up.

The Young Adult Series - Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas




The Assassin's Blade, Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, Heir of Fire
How it Fits the Theme: This is a fantasy series set in the fictional land of Erilea about the country's greatest assassin, an eighteen year old girl. Everyone in the blogoshpere raves about this series and I cannot wait to read it. Heir of Fire just came out so I'm excited to read a big chunk of the series.

The Adult Series - Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson


Mistborn: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages
How it Fits the Theme: This is a series that takes place in a world called The Final Empire where people have the ability to "burn" metals to give them magical powers. It is another series that I have heard nothing but rave reviews about and cannot wait to read. I'm about two thirds of the way in to the first book and it is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!

The ARCs



Winterspell by Claire Legrard
How it Fits the Theme: This book is a reimagining of The Nutcracker and takes place mostly in a world called Cane. But seriously this book sounds amazing! It's my first ARC from Edelweiss and I'm really excited to read it!

Exquisite Captive by Hether Demetrios
How it Fits the Theme: This is a world within a world story about the slave trade between Earth and Arjinna. It is about jinni and it sounds really interesting. I've heard some mixed reviews but is supposed to be quite brutal and I'm kind of intrigued by the magical system.

Talon by Julie Kagawa
How it Fits the Theme: This may be Low Fantasy, I'm not sure it takes place in a different world or within our world. I do know one thing for sure, it is about dragons that walk among us in human form, and really that's all I need to know!

What did you read in August? What are you reading in September? Have you read any of these books? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment