Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - 2014 Releases I Didn't Get to Read

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's prompt is about releases from last year that I did not get a chance to read. For me that is a pretty long list. Here on My Thoughts Literally because I do theme months, it becomes more difficult to fit books into the schedule. I have been breaking from the themes a little bit but there are still a lot of books I was excited to read and just didn't get to.

First Books In A Series 
I have a tortured past with first books, as you may know, so I tend to wait until there are more books in the series to read. Here is the list of first books that I did not get to this year and hope to read when their sequels come out.

1.) Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch- Add to Goodreads
I was so excited about this one and I never picked up a copy for some reason. I think it was because when it was released Mistborn and Throne of Glass had taken over my TBR. I'm hoping to get to it when the sequel comes out in September.

2.) The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkowski - Add to Goodreads
When this book came it out wape and I got a little scared. Sure it sounded good, but I let my hipster tendencies talk me out of reading because I was worried it wasn't going to be as good as everyone said. But this is definitely happening in a few months when the sequel comes out.

3.) Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine - Add to Goodreads
I learned entirely too late that this book is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera, one of my favorite Classics. The synopsis of this book sounds just as dark and dramatic as the original and I am really excited to check it out when the sequel comes out. Or wait till October?

4.) All Lined Up & All Broke Down by Cora Carmack - Add to Goodreads
Last year I wanted to try some New Adult books and this one captured my interest because of the comparison of this series to Friday Night Lights and all the good reviews, this one made it to the top of my list. I'm definitely planning to marathon it during my next freebie month.

5.) Every Breath by Ellie Murney - Add to Goodreads
I've heard great things about this modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes. It fits both my theme for this month and next month but I want to wait until I can marathon the series. I definitely want to check it out, but I'm not really sure when I would get a chance.

Standalones
I really have no excuses for these, I just never got to them. A few of them I even own the book, I just never read it. I'm not sure if it's because they didn't fit the theme of the month or I just prioritized other things but I'm hoping to check these books out this year.

6.) Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley - Add to Goodreads
I really wanted to read this one. It sounded awesome and unique and I had heard great things but it just didn't quite fit into the schedule. I think maybe because it came out at a time that I was reading mostly Fantasy. I'm hoping to check this one out the next time I do a Historical Fiction month.

7.) Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - Add to Goodreads
I really wanted to read this one, I even picked up a copy at BEA but I never got a chance to read it. But this month I have a Mystery/Thriller theme going and because I'm doing the TBR Challenge I am planning to read this one finally.

8.) Yes Please by Amy Poehler - Add to Goodreads
This one will never fit into a theme but I love a celebrity memoir and I have been a fan of Amy's work since her SNL days. I was hoping that I would get this one for Christmas and I didn't. I will definitely be listening to the audiobook for this one.

9.) All the Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doerr- Add to Goodreads
This one has won a bunch of awards and I have heard really amazing things. It's been on my TBRlist and this is another one I was hoping to get for Christmas but did not get it either. I'm hoping to check this one out as well during my next Historical Fiction month as well.

10.) Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge - Add to Goodreads
This one may be the one I am least likely to read. Not that it doesn't sound good, cause it does. And I want to read this one next month when I have a retelling month in February. But despite the fact that I have a copy of this one there are so many other books I was planning on reading.

What about you? What are some 2014 releases that you didn't get a chance to read? Are there any of these that you've read? Should I prioritize any of them? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

16 comments:

  1. The Winner's Curse and Snow Like Ashes are on my TBR list too! They both look amazing! And Cruel Beauty IS amazing! You definitely have to read it ASAP! Don't skip it!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much awesome on this list that you must absolutely must make time for. I loved each and every one of these: SLA, TWC, OMAW, Every Breath, Since You've Been Gone and Cruel Beauty. I'm not a super picky reader, but I know what I like, and I gave all of these four or five stars. Heck, I might have given them all 5 stars. I loved them all so much. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Winner's Curse is on my TBR. I can't wait to read it! Hope you get to do so as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to put Snow Like Ashes on my list but I also have The Winner's Curse! Since You've Been Gone is adorable~ You need to read it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. All The Light We Cannot See was such an amazing book! I think you'll really enjoy it. I also need to read Of Metal and Wishes and Cruel Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks -- I also want to read so many of these like Cruel Beauty, Since You've Been Gone and the second book in that Cora Carmack series (I liked the first book!)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Lots of Snow Like Ashes today! I actually just read that the week before, else it would've made my list too! Also loved Cruel Beauty!! Hope you get to read all these this year and that you love them too!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping to read Yes Please soon too! My best friend bought a copy and said I could borrow it when she is finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow Like Ashes and Since You've Been Gone are on my list, too! And Cruel Beauty, oh gosh, I can't believe I forgot about that - I really want to read it soon! And The Winner's Curse - I definitely have to try and read that this year =) Hope you love them all when you read them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many good ones on here! EVERY BREATH. <3 Love it so much. All Lined Up is one of my favorite NAs. I really liked The Winner's Curse too, but now I'm thinking I'll wait to read book 2 right before book 3 comes out. Since You've Been Gone made my list too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I read All The Light We Cannot See last year and it was wonderful. It is a beautifully written novel. I hope you get around to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! Well you already know how I feel about Snow Like Ashes. :D
    And I think you really need to read The Winner's Curse, I love that one too.
    Cruel Beauty made my list too. I actually won a signed hb copy of it, and still haven't read it. It is near the top of my off my shelf tbr.
    I've been meaning to read Lies We Tell Ourselves. And I just got a copy of Since You've Been Gone. So I hope to read it soon! Awesome list! I hope you get to read them all soon! Enjoy! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only one i have read is Cruel Beauty otherswise we have a ton in common. no worries just more good books for this year right?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never got around to # 1, 2 and 10 either. I may hold off for a marathon series reads.
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually didn't care for Cruel Beauty. Odd, since I usually love fairytale retellings. But I would heartily recommend The Winner's Curse and Of Metal and Wishes. I'm a huge fan of The Phantom of the Opera, and was so happy to discover OMaW. I think you'll love it. I'll definitely be reading its sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cruel Beauty, Winner's Curse and Snow Like Ashes are sitting on my shelves waiting to be read by me as well. I hope we both get the chance to read these lovely and intriguing books this year!
    Here’s My TTT

    ReplyDelete