Monday, June 1, 2015

May Wrap Up and June TBR

Read in May: Adventure/Survival
May was another great reading month for me in May. This was supposed to be my freebie month but when I looked at what I planned to read, I realized it basically had a theme. I cannot avoid the themes it appears. So I read a total of eleven books relating to adventure and survival. In general I really enjoyed most of these books they were really fantastic reads. A few even blew me away but a few also didn't work.

And once again I am doing fantastic with my reading challenges. I have read a total of 55 books so far this year my Goodreads Challenge. I'm up to 18 books for the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge having read 4 books this month. I'm up to 11 books total for the Debut Author Challenge having read two this month (I'm actually one book away from finishing the challenge). And I'm up to 12 books for the TBR Pile Challenge having read 4 books that I already owned before the year began. 

The Books:
1.) An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir Rating: 8 out of 10 [Full Review]
2.) The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
3.) The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest by Melanie Dickerson 
Rating: 5 out of 10 [Full Review]
4.) Legend by Marie Lu Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
5.) A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
6.) Hold Me Like a Breathe by Tiffany Schmidt 
Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
7.) Prodigy by Marie Lu Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
8.) Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
9.) Uprooted by Naomi Novik Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [Full Review]
10.) Champion by Marie Lu Rating: 9 out of 10 [Full Review]
11.) The Martian by Andy Weir Rating: 10 out of 10 Full Review to Come

Other Posts:
My Thoughts Figuratively - Why I'm a Plot-Driven Reader

To Read in June: Contemporary
I can't believe that I am doing a contemporary month. If you had told me a year ago that I would not have only loved some contemporary reads but that I'm devoting a whole month to it, I wouldn't have believed you. But after loving Since You've Been Gone and Simon Vs. plus the looks at some contemps coming out this summer I'm doing it. Here is my plan.


1.) The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker - Add to Goodreads
So this is not contemporary, it's fantasy. But I'm excited to read it. I've heard some good things so I was glad to get a copy from Netgalley and BEA

2.) Powerless by Tera Lynn Childs and Tracey Deebs - Add to Goodreads
This is a total "me book." Another fantasy and this one has an MC who doesn't have any powers in a world of superheroes and supervillains.

3.) More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera - Add to Goodreads
I'm really excited about this debut with a diverse MC who is a person of color and LGBTQ. I've heard good things so I snagged a copy at BEA.

4.) Those Girls by Lauren Saft - Add to Goodreads
I received this from the NOVL newsletter and it sounds like an interesting contemp that's been compared to Mean Girls. I've seen some mixed reviews but I'm going to give it a try and see what I think.


5.) Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone - Add to Goodreads
I'm picky about my contemporary novels but I love coming of age stories and this seems like an interesting MC who might be a bit of an unrelaiable narrator.

6.) The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek by Seth Rudetsky - Add to Goodreads
I'm a big fan of Broadway (my cat is named after a Les Mis character) and I know Seth Rudetsky and his humor. I'm excited to read a book written by him.

7.) The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - Add to Goodreads
Barnes has been on my TBR list for while and this sounds like an absolutely amazing mystery/thriller. It'll be good to shake things up a little too this month.

8.) Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid - Add to Goodreads
I picked a copy of this up at BEA because it sounds really fantastic. I love the coming of age story idea and I'm excited to try Adi Alsaid's books because I know a lot of people loved his debut.


9.) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz - Add to Goodreads
I already listened to this audiobook and it is fantastic and beautiful.

10.) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - Add to Goodreads
I asked you all to pick one of my contemp reads for this month and you picked this. Everyone is such a fan of this book and this series. I got a copy from my Secret Sister so I'm reading it.

11.) NIL Unlocked by Lynne Matson - Add to Goodreads
I planned to read this book last month but I never got a copy and with BEA I ended up listening to a second audiobook instead of this. It needs to happen in June.

12.) Dumplin' by Julie Murphy - Add to Goodreads
I am so freaking excited for this book. I loved Julie's debut and the idea of a plus size beauty pageant consultant makes me so excited I may puke.

Those are the books I plan to read. Have you read any of them? What did you think:? Do you plan on reading any of them? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

8 comments:

  1. You had a great month in May. I'm also reviewing Those Girls, I actually already started. Have a great June reading month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think about Those Girls. I've seen some mixed review. I'm going to give it a try though.

      Delete
  2. You read some awesome-looking books this month! I'm still waiting to read ACOTAR, and I've heard really great things about both An Ember In The Ashes and The Wrath and The Dawn.

    So excited to see what you think of The Fixer, too! Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a psychology professor at my university, and I took her Writing Young Adult Fiction class while she was still writing that one. Can't wait to get my hands on my own copy. Great post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to see what you think of ACOTAR, Ember, and Wrath. I loved at least one of them. The other two are really good but maybe were a little too hyped for me.

      That's so crazy about Jennifer Lynn Barnes. I would love to take a class from her. I've heard great things about The Naturals series and if I like The Fixer I will be sure to pick that one up.

      Delete
  3. So great to hear that you read and enjoyed The Wrath and the Dawn. I have heard raving reviews, and I cannot wait to pick it up this month!
    -Monica @ Tomes Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really like it. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I hope you enjoy it too when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on having such a great month with your reading challenges. I am so jealous that you snagged a copy of More Happy Than Not. That is one of my most anticipated releases of 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia. More Happy Than Not was a really good read. Not my usual type of book but I'm glad that I read it. I hope you enjoy it as well.

      Delete