Thursday, July 23, 2015

Crossing Over: Historical Fiction Set in Workd War II


It's time for this month's edition of Crossing Over. If you're not familiar with Crossing Over it's a feature where I recommend an adult book with crossover appeal based on a YA book that is similar. It's basically a if you liked, then try but for crossover books. This month's theme is Historical Fiction/Fantasy which gives me the opportunity to recommend two books that I love and are so similar in that they both ripped my heart out among other reasons.



The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak  
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

Before reading The Book Thief I told myself that I didn't like historical fiction set during World War II. It tended to be the same thing over and over again and it also tended to be overly emotional, rightfully so. But everyone loves this books so I gave it a try and they were indeed not wrong. It was more of a refreshing take on the historical time period because it's more about what life is like on the homefront. It's beautifully written, a complex story of family and friendship, and with likable characters. Not to mention it's heartbreaking in the best possible way.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

Even after loving The Book Thief I was a little nervous about reading this book because I still had trepidation about historical fiction set during World War II. But it's critically acclaimed and I've heard great things and they were indeed not wrong. It was more of a refreshing take on the historical time period because it's more about what life is like on the homefront. It's beautifully written, a complex story of family and friendship, and with likable characters. Not to mention it's heartbreaking in the best possible way.


These are two really engaging and beautiful novels that have really stuck with me long after finishing them. If you are a fan of historical fiction, especially if you like books set during World War II I would definitely recommend them. Or if you are just looking for a really emotional read. They're great books in general.

Have you read The Book Thief and/or All the Light We Cannot See? What did you think? What historical fiction crossovers do you like? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Book Thief. I have read it several times. I'm waiting on a copy of All the Light We Cannot See from the library. I was hesitant about this book because I feel like WWII has been overdone in fiction lately. I ultimately gave in because everyone is loving this book. I didn't want to be left out. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am just now reading The Book Thief for the FIRST TIME EVER!! I really cannot believe it took this long. I am about 80% done and man, it is so beautiful. It may become one of my favorite books ever. I read All the Light we cannot see last year and loved it. I actually love reading books set in WWII. I think I am just a sucker for sad books.

    ReplyDelete