Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

A weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine

Title: The Star-Touched Queen
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Published: April 26, 2016 by St. Martin's PMacmillan

Synopsis: Cursed with a horoscope that promises a marriage of Death and Destruction, sixteen-year-old Maya has only earned the scorn and fear of her father's kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her world is upheaved when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. But when her wedding takes a fatal turn, Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Yet neither roles are what she expected. As Akaran's queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar's wife, she finds friendship and warmth.

But Akaran has its own secrets - thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Beneath Akaran's magic, Maya begins to suspect her life is in danger. When she ignores Amar's plea for patience, her discoveries put more than new love at risk - it threatens the balance of all realms, human and Otherworldly.

Now, Maya must confront a secret that spans reincarnated lives and fight her way through the dangerous underbelly of the Otherworld if she wants to protect the people she loves. 

The Star-Touched Queen is a lush, beautifully written and vividly imagined fantasy inspired by Indian mythology.

Why I'm Waiting 

This book sounds absolutely amazing! I mean in general I am a sucker for YA fantasy but this one sounds exceptionally good. For one thing it's a standalone (I think?) which you don't see very often. That alone is cool. But I also love fantasy books that combine mythology and/or a retelling. It always makes for an interesting world and plot development. This I hear is like a Hades and Persephone retelling and it also has a A Thousand Nights and One Nights vibe to it which I love.

But let's be real here, I like the sounds of this main character and her coming into her own in the role of queen, a role she never expected to have. I love a good reluctant hero and a strong female protagonist. And the political intrigue that comes with that whole concept. I love my fantasy to be political and about power.

The few early reviews I have seen about this book have been really good. Five stars, loved it kind of reviews. It's one of my most anticipated debuts of 2016 and I'm so excited for it to come out. Plus the cover is so pretty so I'm waiting for that beauty to be on my shelves.



What about you? What are you waiting for this Wednesday? Are you waiting on The Star-Touched Queen along with me? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

P.S. If you didn't hear, they announced this week that they will be releasing this a week earlier than originally planned. It will now be coming out at the end of April which is exciting. Less waiting is always good. And if you want to pre-order a copy it's only about $10 on Amazon!

5 comments:

  1. Yes!!!! I'm waiting on this one too. It sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is gorgeous and this story sounds SO good!

    my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! Most definitely looking forward to this one!!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice! ;) I can't wait to read this book! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. LESS WAITING IS ALWAYS AWESOME!! I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on this one! Totally one of my top 3 most awaited debuts of 2016!!

    ReplyDelete