Thursday, March 31, 2016

March Wrap Up and April TBR

Read in Febuary: Retellings

Wow! I had another really fantastic reading month. I didn't think I could follow February but I did, which is fantastic. Once again I was blown away by some highly anticipated reads. Most of the books I read too were good 4 star reads, although there were a few disappointments, I read a total of 16 books this month which is amazing. There was 13 new books this month and 2 rereads.

As far as challenges go, I'm doing well. YAY! I'm still ahead for my Goodreads goal of reading 150 books this year, which is super exciting. I'm also ahead of my goal for the Debut Author Challenge of reading 25 debuts by reading 2 debuts this month for a total of 9 for the year. I'm also ahead for the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge having once again read 5 books for that challenge reaching a total of 13 towards my goal of 36, that secondary goal of 50 may be possible if I keep this up. And I'm also on track for the TBR Pile Challenge by reading two books for that this month (two other backlist books but I didn't own them) getting a total of 6 towards my goal of 25 for the year. And finally, the Audiobook Challenge. I listened to 3 audiobooks this month including rereads, giving me a total of 10 for the year which is on track for my goal of 30 or more. I am killing these challenges so far which is a great way to start the year.

The Books
1.) In Real Life by Jessica Love Rating: 7 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winter 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) Charmed by Jen Calonita Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) Stars Above by Marissa Meyer Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Briar Rose by Jane Yolen Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) The Skylighter by Becky Wallace Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
9.) Exit. Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston 
Rating: 10 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton 
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
12.) Gotham Academy vol. 2 by Becky Cloonan, Brendan Fletcher, 
and Karl Kerschl Rating: 9 out of 10
13.) Lion Heart by A.C. Gaughen Rating: 9 out of 10 [Review to Come]

Rereads:
14-15.) The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkowski [Reread Review]


Other Posts

To Be Read in April: ARC April


My March theme month is a kind of none-theme theme. The lovely ladies over at Read Sleep Repeat are hosting a great feature called ARC April which encourages us bloggers to get to those review books we have been avoiding and are starting to grow out of control. My Netgalley percentage is getting low and I want to make sure I read as many physical ARCs as I can to clean some space before BEA. So I'm taking part in ARC April this year. I loved ARC August so this shouldn't be any different. My goal is to read 8 ARCs this month. I have some new releases and rereads I also want to read but I think 8 is totally doable. To sign up and join in the fun, check out this post.


1.) Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan - Add to Goodreads
This is a modern retelling of A Tale of Two Cities with magic so I'm on board. I was supposed to read it last month but I bumped it for the rest of the Scarlet trilogy.

2.) The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkowski - Add to Goodreads
Not an ARC but I have to finish this series so I am reading it this month. I got my copy in the mail a few days ago and I'm starting it today.

3.) Elantris by Brandon Sanderson - Add to Goodreads
Also not an ARC but part of my Rock My TBR and Audiobook Challenge. Plus I started it a few weeks ago so I'm really just finishing it this month.

4.) A Fierce and Subtle Poison by Samantha Mabry - Add to Goodreads
I'm pretty excited about this book. It's Magical Realism set in the Carribbean and it sounds really interesting. I have a copy from Netgalley, Thanks Algonquin!


5.) The Darkest Corners by Kara Thomas - Add to Goodreads
I've been so excited about this book since I learned about it. It's a YA Thriller set in the part of Pennsylvania where I live. Obviously I need to read it so I requested a copy from Netgalley. Thanks Random House!

6.) The Haters by Jesse Andrews - Add to Goodreads
I have not read this author, despite wanting to read Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl so I'm excited to read this one and see what I think about his writing. Thanks Abrams!

7.) The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi Add to Goodreads
This is one of my most anticipated debuts of the year and so I was absolutely ecstatic to get an ARC in the mail. It sounds like such a creative YA fantasy and I can't wait to read it. Thanks St. Martins!

8.) The Raven King by Maggie Steifvater - Add to Goodreads
*hyperventilates* The final book in The Raven Cycle is finally coming out. *hyperventilates* I can't wait. *hyperventilates* I'm not ready. *hyperventilates*

Rereads


The Raven Cycle by Maggie Steifvater: The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue
The final book in this series is coming out at the end of the month so I need to reread the series and fall even more in love before Maggie rips my heart out. Best worst idea.

Potential Reads

I'm still trying not to plan out too many reads and keep some backup books in case I have holes in the schedule. But this time I thought I would do something a little different. I have a few physical ARCs that I am trying to decide between so I thought I would have you all help me. SO of the books mentioned below, leave me a comment with which book you think I should read. I'll read them in order of which books get the most votes. I'm also planning on running a poll on Twitter to help.



Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley - Add to Goodreads
Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin - Add to Goodreads
These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly - Add to Goodreads
Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix - Add to Goodreads
Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper - Add to Goodreads

There you have it. All the books I plan to read in April and a few potential reads. Leave a comment with which physical ARC you think I should read. What are you reading this month? Are there any of the same books on your list? Have you read any of these? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. Wowee! You're kicking butt, Cassie! EXIT, PURSUED BY A BEAR has been a popular book among YA blogs and I have to say I had some initial interest, but after your review, I'm definitely requesting it from the library!

    I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on THE DARKEST CORNERS. I really enjoyed it! Total Mind F***!!

    - Elizabeth @ Book Yabber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooohooo!! YOU ROCK CASSIE! I'm sure you'll kick arse at ARC April too! I am gonna use re-read the Raven Cycle as motivation for my own progress for ARC April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great month of reading! I can't wait to start my re-read of The Raven Cycle series in anticipation of TRK -- counting the days!!

    My March Recap

    ReplyDelete