Friday, September 30, 2016

September Wrap Up and October TBR

Read in Septmeber: Magical Realism

Well, this was another mediocre month of reading for me. If you stopped by the blog on Wednesday you know that I think I'm in a reading slump and this wrap up definitely shows that. Now to be fair, I was super busy and didn't have a lot of time to read so there's that. But after loving some books early on, my reading kind of fizzled towards the end of the month. When it was all said and done, I read 11 new books this month which honestly is the lowest it's been in awhile. But I also did 2 rereads which brings things to a total of 13 books for the month. That my friends is rough for me. But I'm coming back out of the slump I think so next month will be better.

For challenges, I'm still doing well. I'm posting this a little early but by the time the month is over I will have read 129 books this year towards my Goodreads goal of reading 150 books. I'm way ahead of my goal which is good so I can let the slump pass and not feel stressed. I'm still hoping I can do it without rereads but we'll see when it gets closer. This month I also did well on debuts, having read 3 total and have officially completed my goal for the Debut Author Challenge of reading 25 debuts. That brings my total to 26 for the year so I'm thinking maybe I can do 30 by the end of the year. I'm also slowing down for the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge. It was a slow month for that, having only read 2 books for that challenge. But if I work at it, I can reach my goal of 50 for the year, I'm currently at 36 so we shall see. And I'm also on track for the Rock My TBR Challenge. I read 1 book for that this month getting a total of 19 towards my goal of 25 for the year. I need to be good about this the next couple months and then I will do it. And finally, the Audiobook Challenge. I listened to 3 audiobooks this month, giving me a total of 32 for the year which is behind my goal of 50 or more for the year but I think if I push myself I can still finish that one. I am still killing these challenges, which is great because I am so competitive.

The Books
1.) The Graces by Laure Eve Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
2.) Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) As I Descended by Robin Talley Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess 
Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh 
Rating: 7.5 out of 10 [My Review]
8.) Warp by Lev Grossman Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
9.) The Swan Riders by Erin Bow Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
10.) A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]\
11.) When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars [Review to Come]

Rereads [Reviews to Come]:
12.) The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
13.) Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Other Posts

To Be Read in October: Dark Fantasy

And fall is officially here. And with it comes the super exciting new releases including all the high fantasies I seem to read every October and plan to read again. But to be entirely honest I need to not stick to closely to my theme to keep things fresh as I claw my way out of my reading slump. Plus there are some absolutely amazing books coming out this month. Some that I have been looking forward to for a year now. But when I look at my plan for the month I realize it gets better than that, I have all kinds of darker fantasy planned this month which is super exciting.
Books for Review



Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake - Add to Goodreads
I was planning to read this last month but never got to it. Plus it fits this months theme better so I am hoping to read my first Kendare Blake. But I want to and I'm really excited for this one to be my first book from her because it sounds amazing.

Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehring Add to Goodreads
This is not fantasy it is a mystery/thriller. But like I said, keeping things fresh. Plus the author is coming next week as part of a Fierce Reads tour so I am excited to meet him and learn more about the book.

Rebel Genius by Michael Dante Dimartino- Add to Goodreads
I'm a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender so the fact that one of the creators of that show wrote a MG fantasy means I must read it. Plus it sounds like a really cool concept.


Replica by Lauren Oliver - Add to Goodreads
I'm not entirely sure what genre this one is but it's not fantasy. But it does sound interesting and I am super intrigued by the concept.


The Woman in the Walls by Amy Lukavits - Add to Goodreads
Michelle of Pink Polka Dot Books really liked this one and gave me the copy we picked up at BEA that we are sharing. I think it's the perfect October/Halloween read.
 
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff Add to Goodreads
I am super super excited for this book. I need a super unique book to read and this one I know will be amazing because naturally.

Glitter by Aprilynne Pike - Add to Goodreads
I'm super interested in this book and I don't entirely know what it's about. It has this weird kind of sci-fi vibe to it and then there's the whole Marie Antoinette thing. Color me intrigued.

Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin - Add to Goodreads
I loved Wolf by Wolf and cannot wait to find out what happens next in this duology. But I'm also so worried about it because oh man I love these characters.

New Releases


Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo - Add to Goodreads
I was supposed to read this last month but I didn't get to it because I was late on my reread of Sox of Crows. But I'm staring tonight and I know Leigh is going to write an amazing book that will wreck, WRECK, me.

The Midnight Star by Marie Lu - Add to Goodreads
The final book in the Young Elites trilogy. I am equally excited for full on villainous Adelina and terrified on how it will all end,

The Reader by Traci Chee Add to Goodreads
I impulsively bought a copy of this last month because I had a Barnes and Noble Coupon and I had heard amazing things. Hoping to read it this month

Rereads


The Young Elites and The Rose Society by Marie Lu - My Review
As previously stated, I am super excited about The Midnight Star. The prepare I am rereading these books to really feel the emotional turmoil that is Adelina's rise to power.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - My Review
Oh man, I'm super excited for this audiobook. I hear it is radio play style which is exciting. Plus I am excited to rediscover this series.

There you have it. All the Magical Realism books I hope to read in September. We'll see. As always, these are subject to change. I may read all of these or I may only read a few and then read a bunch of different one. But honestly I think this list I can stick to. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. 13 books doesn’t sound like much of a slump to me. I think I maybe read 10 books in September, and I’m not even in a slump. Good luck with your October reading goals!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gemina and Women in the Walls are on my list as well, and I really really need to read Rebel Genius. Also the entire Young Elites series, because I'm so late to that party. *hides* I hope you love The Reader! I thought it was incredibly beautiful, not to mention a really neat concept.

    Also, if 13 is a slump, then I'm pretty sure I'm dead.

    C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons

    ReplyDelete