Monday, May 1, 2017

April Wrap Up and May TBR

Read in April: Science Fiction 

Another good month. I'm definitely back to where I want to be. I read 14 books this month (actually 15 but one is on the May TBR so I'm not counting it). Of course it helps that I read plenty of audiobooks and comics but still. I feel like I'm out of my reading slump and I am back to normal. Plus I read a lot of really great books. This is the first time in a long time I had a hard time deciding which four favorites to have the covers for. I changed my mind a few time. All in all a good month.

For challenges, I am doing okay but not as well as I would hope. I decided to go for a Goodreads goal of 100 books for the year and that was a really good decision. I am now ahead of that challenge and feeling much better about meeting my goals. I may now push it to 120 because that's what I'm on track for but we'll see. My total for the year is now up to 42 books for the year. I am also on track for the Debut Author Challenge of 25 debuts. I did read 3 this month which brings my total to 9 for the year. For the Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge, I read 3 this months which makes my total 11 for the year. I'm thinking the 36 target is more doable, 50 might be a reach. For the Rock My TBR Challenge I read 1 books for that this month towards my goal of 25 for the year bringing my totally up to 5 for the year. And finally, I did one post for the Discussion Challenge, making my total 4 for the year.

The Books
1.) The Overnight by R.L. Stine Rating: 6 out of 10 [Podcast Website]
2.) Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer and Douglas Holgate 
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
3.) Empress of A Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza 
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
4.) Shadow Run by AdriAnne Strickland and Michael Miller 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
5.) The Edge of the Abyss by Emily Skrutskie Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [My Review]
6.) Rat Queens Vol. 3: Demons by Kurtis J. Weibe and Tess Fowler
Rating: 8 out of 10 [My Review]
7.) Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli 
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 [Original Review]
8.) The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
Rating: 9.5 out of 10 stars  [My Review]
9.) Ms. Marvel,Vol. 4: Last Days by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona  
Rating: 9 out of 10
10.) Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
11.) Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 2, Squirrel You Know It's True by Ryan 
North and Erica Henderson Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
12.) The Most Beautiful Woman in Florence by Alyssa Palumbo 
Rating: 9 out of 10 [My Review]
13.) Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick Rating: 8.5 out of 10 [My Review]
14.) Geekerella by Ashley Poston Rating: 9 out of 10 stars [My Review]

Other Posts

To Be Read in May: 

Okay, so I actually don't have a theme for May. I could maybe come up with one, there are a lot of contemporaries and mysteries but I just did a contemp month and I have a mystery one coming up so instead I'm just calling this a freebie month. I am really excited about some of the books I have planned. There are some highly anticipated new releases I've been waiting for and some review books that sound really amazing. I think it's going to be another good month.

Books for Review


Cold Summer by Gwen Cole - Add to Goodreads
By the time this is up I will already have finished this book. It's a time travel story about a guy who goes back to WWII and gets PTSD. Also there is romance.

Noteworthy by Riley Redgate - Add to Goodreads
I usually like to read more contemporaries in the summer time and this one sounds totally adorable. I mean it's about acapella, which is cute, but that also means the characters will probably be a little nerdy which I love.

The Love Interest by Cale Deitrich - Add to Goodreads
I got a copy of this through Netgalley and I was super excited because this sounds totally up my alley. I mean it's about teenage spies. I'm interested to see what the author does with it too because the idea sounds fascinating.


#Antisocial by Jillian Blake - Add to Goodreads
This seems like a pretty interesting mystery about how the popular kids at a school get hacked and have their gossip and secrets revealed.

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus Add to Goodreads
A mystery with unreliable narrators where the characters are an unlikely team in a Breakfast Club style detention together and someone ends up dead. Obviously I need to read this.

Spactacle by Rachel Vincent Add to Goodreads
I may end up listening to the audiobook for this one because I loved the first one on audio but I do have a review copy to read. But it's a cool darkish urban fantasy with carnivals and creatures, I need to refresh myself on the first book but it was really good.

New Releases



The Pearl Thief by Elizabeth Wein - Add to Goodreads
I have been waiting on this book since the moment I learned about it. It's a prequel to Code Name Verity about Julia. Oh I seriously cannot wait.

Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han Add to Goodreads
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first two books in this series and I am excited to read the final one. I listened to the audios and I will probably do that again.

The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye Add to Goodreads
I loved this first book on audio soooo much, I mean it's narrated by Steve West, so I preorder the sequel on audio so I can listen to it the moment it comes out.

Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh - Add to Goodreads
I really like Renee's first series and so I'm excited to see what is next for her. Plus I think this book sounds fascinating. I mean it's fantasy about samurai, how cool is that?

Backlist Books


Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness Add to Goodreads
I have been wanting to read this series for awhile and I even have the first two books in the series. I meant to read it last month but I didn't end up doing that. But I did pick up the audio for the first book and already started it.


There you have it. Some of the books I hope to read in April. As always, these are subject to change. I may read all of these or I may only read a few and then read a bunch of different ones. But honestly I think this list I can stick to. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad your slump is over. So many of the books in this post are on my TBR list. I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of Cold Summer and The Love Interest. Happy May!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAAY for the reading slump being overrrrr!!! And you had a rather good reading month, most of the books were 9's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for getting out of your reading slump! Can't believe you got through so many books! So many of these are sitting on my own TBR pile so super glad to hear you enjoyed most of them :)

    ReplyDelete