Friday, June 16, 2017

Crossing Over: Time Travel Books with a Focus on the History


Hey all. It's been awhile since my last Crossing Over post. If you're not familiar with Crossing Over it's a feature that stemmed from my desire to recommend an adult book with crossover appeal based on a YA or sometimes Middle Grade book that are similar. I hate that we pigeonhole books into a specific age range and so I try to combat that. Plus it's basically an if you liked, then try but for crossover books. It runs once a month (usually) here and I pick the books based on the theme of what I'm reading. So this month my theme is historical fiction and honestly that was a pretty hard one for me. I feel like I don't read a ton of adult historical fiction and the ones that I do are very different from the YA I read. So I did a little bit of a twist on the topic and do time travel stories with a big focus on historical fiction


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

So I feel like the first thing I have to say about this book is that it is not really a crossover book. It is very adult. VERY. There are some really explicit sex scenes and a ton of violence. And there are also plenty of violent sex scenes. This book is not for the typical YA reader. But it is still really good and I don't think teens should avoid these kinds of books because they aren't "adults." Alright, that's out of the way so let's get to the good stuff.

This book is about a woman who is ahead of her time who ends up, unbeknownst to her, having the ability to travel back in time. She ends up in the Highlands of Scotland right before the Jacobite uprising and becomes entrenched with a family who is more than meets the eye. There's a ton of action and drama, plus a good amount of political intrigue. As the series develops she starts to realize that if she wants to save the people she loves, she may have to change history.

This book also has amazing characters. I absolutely love Claire for one. As I said she is ahead of her time which often puts her at odds with the historical time period. She's sassy and tough, brilliant and resourceful, and shows a lot of confidence under pressure. She's an easy character to get behind. But Jamie Fraser is also quite amazing as well. He's not your typical war-hardened soldier. He's got a real vulnerability to him which makes him quite complex.  But even more than that, this is a series full of amazing and odious characters including some truly vile villains. Plus the book is way more character driven than you would expect.

But the thing I liked most about this book is that it's a time travel story that reads like historical fiction. The focus is definitely not on the time travel at least not in the first few books (yes, I admit I have only read the first one and seen the second season of the TV show). The time travel is just a means of getting the character to the time period which is a great setting. I loved the themes about the period that were explored and think fans of historical fiction will enjoy it as well.

In general, it's a good read. It defies genre classifications because it has elements of historical fiction, fantasy, and romance. If you are worried it's too romance heavy, don't be. Take it from this romancephobic person, there is much more about this series to love. If you are a historical fiction fan check it out.

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
Read My Review / Add to Goodreads

So there are a lot of books out there that market themselves at Outlander for teens. Some because they are historical fiction that takle place in Scotland, some because they're time travel, some because they have both. But none of them quite get there. Passenger I think gets the closest. One because it's not trying to be Outlander and two, because it has the same kind of vibes,

This book is about a young woman who ends up, unbeknownst to her, having the ability to travel back in time. She ends up aboard a pirate ship right before the American Revolution and becomes entrenched with a family who is more than meets the eye. There's a ton of action and drama, plus a good amount of surprised. As the book and series develops she starts to realize that if she wants to save the people she loves, she may have to change history and travel through time even more.

This book also has amazing characters. I really liked Etta for one. Etta is a modern girl with modern sensibilities which often puts her at odds with the historical time period. She's tough, smart, resourceful, and shows a lot of confidence under pressure. She's an easy character to get behind. But Nicholas is also quite amazing as well. He's not your typical swash-buckling pirate. He's got a real vulnerability to him which makes him quite complex. But even more than that, this is a series full of amazing and odious characters including some truly vile villains. Plus the book is way more character driven than you would expect.

But the thing I liked most about this book is that it's a time travel story that reads like historical fiction. The focus is on the time travel but what it does right it perfectly capture the location and history of where it is taking you. The time travel is the main plot point but it doesn't neglect some of the larger implications and how the characters inhabit the locations. I loved the themes about the period that were explored and think fans of historical fiction will enjoy it as well.

In general, it's a good read. It defies genre classification by having great elements of historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, romance. Basically it has it all. If you are a fan of historical fiction I think you will like it just as much as fans of time travel.

Have you read Outlander and/or Passenger? What did you think? What steampunk novels with crossover appeal do you like? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY need to get around to reading Passenger. I'm a huge fan of Outlander! <3

    ReplyDelete